Want to Apply for Reduced Tuition at Out of State Schools?

Share Button


reduced tuitionAside from buying a home, the sticker shock of college is probably the second biggest heart attack moment in one’s life, especially when comparing in-state and out-of-state tuitions.

There’s a program, Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) for students who live in the 15 member states (which includes California!), they are eligible to request a reduced tuition rate of 150% of resident tuition at participating two- and four-year college programs outside of their home state. Most schools do not require proof of financial need to receive the discount. Here’s a list of participating schools.

The WUE reduced tuition rate is not automatically awarded to all eligible candidates. Many institutions limit the number of new WUE awards each academic year, so apply early! Keep in mind though, If you want to build time towards establishing residency, many institutions require you to pay the full nonresident tuition. Do your homework and figure out what the savings will be over the course of four (or five) years.

In order to apply, read the institution’s WUE profile for WUE eligibility requirements and if you still have questions, contact the institution’s WUE administrator as indicated in the profile. Although some institutions automatically consider applicants from a (Western Interstate Commission For High Education) WICHE state for the WUE rate, many of them require that you request the special WUE rate at the time of application for admission, or that you apply for the WUE rate through their scholarship or financial aid office. If you have additional questions, check out their FAQs.



Share Button