Do you know a high school senior who is an an MVP on and off the field? The Foot Locker Scholar Athletes will award $20,000 to (20) scholar athletes who demonstrate an excellence and leadership in school, on their sports teams, and in their communities.
The scholarship will be paid directly to the winner’s college to be applied to tuition and fees in four equal annual payments of $5,000 throughout their four-year college career.
The deadline to apply for the Foot Locker Scholarships is December 17, 2015 at 5 pm EST. Winners will be announced April 2016.
They’ve added a bonus this year. One of the 20 winners will be awarded the Ken C. Hicks scholarship for demonstrating superior educational achievement, outstanding leadership, and a true love of the game. The winner will receive an additional $5000 award (for a total of $25,000). This student will receive their scholarship in four yearly installments, totaling $6,250/yr.
In order to be eligible for the Foot Locker Scholar Athletes program, the applicant must:
- Be a current high school senior entering a four-year, accredited US college or university in the Fall of 2016
- Be currently a member (in good standing) of a high school sports team or be involved in after-school sports (e.g. intramurals, martial arts, etc.). You don’t have to be on a varsity team.
- Have maintained an unweighted GPA of 3.0 or higher from ninth grade to first semester of 12th grade
- Be a U.S. citizen or US Permanent Legal Resident
- Foot Locker employees and their immediate family members are ineligible
No worries if the student doesn’t plan on playing sports in college, they’re still eligible.
You can also nominate a student. Just submit the form and your nominee will receive an an email inviting them to apply!
All applicants should be prepared to answer the two essay questions below:
Sports teach important lessons in leadership, teamwork, and sportsmanship. How have you embodied these qualities on your team and in your community? Suggested length of 300-500 words.
Describe a defining moment in your life that has helped to shape your dreams and plans for the future. Suggested length of 300-500 words.