Applications Now Being Accepting for Amherst Diversity Open Houses
Add this to the list of upcoming Diversity Weekends! Amherst will be holding two weekend Diversity Open Houses (DIVOH) in the fall to introduce prospective applicants to Amherst’s campus, student body, faculty, classes, and residence halls. Up to 100 students are selected to attend each weekend.
- Saturday, September 26 – Monday, September 28
- Saturday, October 17 – Monday, October 19
The Diversity Open Houses are available to all prospective students, but the DIVOH selection committee prioritizes the invitation of students from traditionally under-represented groups, such as African-American, Hispanic/Latino American, Native American, and Asian-American backgrounds, as well as first-generation students. To support socio-economic diversity, the selection committee will also prioritize students from families with limited financial resources, regardless of cultural or racial background. The above-mentioned are priorities, but are not meant to imply any exclusivity regarding the program or selection process. They encourage all interested studdents to apply no matter your demographic or economic background.
Students selected to visit Amherst for a DIVOH weekend will receive 100% of round-trip transportation costs (airline, bus, or train) for DIVOH attendance and will be hosted on campus by current students. Typically, seventy-five percent of the students who attend one of our DIVOH programs choose to apply to Amherst, although they are under no obligation to do so. A fee waiver of the $60 application fee is provided to all students invited to attend a DIVOH weekend. Some students who apply to the Open House will also receive a waiver for the Amherst College $60 application fee in order to encourage their applications to Amherst, regardless of whether they are invited to attend the Open House.
To apply for attendance at one of the upcoming Fall 2015 DIVOH weekends, please complete and submit the online DIVOH Application. The application deadline for both DIVOH weekends is Monday, August 17, 2015, at 5:00 p.m. (EST).
To be eligible for the programs, you must:
- be a high school senior in the fall of 2015
- reside in the U.S.
- complete an on-line DIVOH application (essay required)
- submit a copy of your transcript (an unofficial one will be accepted) through your junior year
It’s easy! The first step is submitting an on-line DIVOH application, followed by submitting a copy of your transcript.
All materials must received by Monday, August 17, 2015 (includes high school transcripts through junior year)..
- Students should send a copy of your transcript by email to email@example.com. Documents should be sent in the following formats: PDF, Microsoft Office Word Document, or TIFF.
- If students are unable to email a copy of their transcript, please fax it to 413-542-2040.
- If neither of these options work, please call the admission office at 413-542-2328 to discuss other options.